Want to try a new hair color without completely destroying your hair with bleach? It’s time to give lace-front wigs a try. These wigs are versatile while also creating a believable hairline and scalp. Another benefit is not having to worry about the maintenance of taking care of dyed or styled hair.
There are two main types of materials used to make wigs: synthetic hair and human hair. Human hair wigs are much more expensive but also last a lot longer. Lace-front wigs tend to be made of human hair. It is important to know what kind of wing you are buying so that way you don’t completely destroy it if you style it with heat. Only use heat styling tools on real hair wigs and use heat protecting products on your wig.
Make sure to prepare your wig first. Some people prefer to style the wig on a mannequin head first. If you don’t have one you can style it after application.
Preparing the Wig
- If you want to keep your wig looking natural, you can pluck a bit along the hairline so it does not appear as straight. Do this at random but don’t overdo it!
- Section off a little of the front and trim to create baby hairs. Go very lightly! Another trick is to place the wig a centimeter or two back from the hairline, so you still have a natural hairline.
- Cut the lace around the perimeter with a small sharp scissor. Sometimes it is easier to put on the wig during this process for guiding lines.
Applying the Wig
- Get Your Hair Ready: Flatten your hair or braid it. You want it to be as flat as possible to keep the wig looking realistic. Put on your stocking cap.
- Applying Wig Tape: Apply small pieces of wig tape along your hairline. Once you have it situated, remove the other side of the tape. If you do not want to use wig tape, you can also try a product like Got2b Glued Dab it lightly on the hairline.
- Putting on the Wig: Gently pull the wig on. Make sure to press the front onto the gel or the tape. Style the baby hairs with a spooly or small toothbrush. Use concealer and dab it onto the hairline to cover the netting and make it look more realistic.
- You’re ready to style!