Having painted walls can completely transform the look and feel of your home. But should you hire a professional, or should you do it yourself? Here, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of a DIY paint job vs. hiring painting experts.
If You Choose to DIY…
- You will feel a sense of accomplishment.
- You can paint at your own pace, whether over a single day or week (or month!).
- It will cost less. (The biggest expense will be the paint, which can cost $30-$40 per gallon, though higher-quality or designer-brand paints can cost much more.)
- You might underestimate the time and effort it takes to paint.
- In addition to paint, you will also need to buy primer, brushes, rollers, ladders, correct tape, mud, tarps, etc.
- Even if you take your time and pay attention to details, the quality will likely not be as good as what a professional could do.
- You have to clean up any mess or paint that ends up in places other than your walls.
If You Hire a Professional…
- You can be more sure the job will be done correctly, and the results are more predictable.
- You can expect clean lines and edges, as well as uniform color.
- You may like how easy it is to step aside and allow someone to do their job.
- It will cost more.
- You will need to coordinate with painters to enter your home.
Making a Choice
Consider the pros and cons to decide whether DIY or hiring a professional works best for you!