For years, we were saturated with skincare brands selling us options for matte finish foundations, matting powders, and mattifying gels. But you may have noticed that more recently, brands have been highlighting products that offer dewy finishes and hydrating tints that give you a natural glow. Where did this luminous skin idea come from? Korean cosmetics!
In South Korea, chok-chok is a term used to describe moistened, dewy skin (as opposed to dry, dull skin). This has been the preferred look in the country for many years, with many K-beauty brands creating products designed to help achieve this luminous complexion. Chok-chok isn’t oily, and that is the key; the goal is to achieve hydrated, healthy skin that can combat wrinkles and protect itself from pollutants. Below are some morning and nighttime Korean skincare routines that will help you achieve this healthy glow.
- Wash your face with water.
- Dab on hydrating toner with your hands by patting lightly.
- Apply an “essence,” which is a type of lightweight serum, such as Beauty of Joseon’s Ginseng Essence Water ($18, shop here)
- Apply an ampoule, another type of serum with a higher concentration of active ingredients.
- Apply a serum that helps with specific needs, such as Beauty of Joseon’s Green Tea + Panthenol Calming Serum ($17, shop here).
- Use an eye cream.
- Apply moisturizer.
- Apply sunscreen.
- Use an oil-based cleanser, followed by a water-based cleanser to remove oil residue.
- Exfoliate twice a week with a gentle exfoliant.
- Dab on hydrating toner such as Kikumasamune Sake Rich Moisture Lotion Toner ($23.95, shop here).
- Apply an essence.
- Apply an ampoule.
- Apply a serum.
- Apply a hydrating sheet mask
- Use an eye cream like Peach & Lily’s Pure Peach Retinoic Eye Cream ($42, shop here).
- Apply moisturizer.
Following the morning and night skincare routines listed above can help make your skin smoother and healthier. We recommend visiting the Soko Glam website for a variety of K-beauty products from some amazing brands. It’s also okay to use a moisturizer, serum, or cleanser that you already love to achieve the chok-chok look.