Make-up horror story: finding the perfect shade of lipstick and splurging on it only to realize after an hour of wear your lips are dryer than before it went on and flakes of ruby red are peeling off your lips. This is a nightmare many of us have known before. Lipsticks can cause your lips to dry out when there’s more wax in the recipe than oil—something particularly familiar with matte lipsticks.
There are some things you can do on your own to help make any lipstick more hospitable to your lips. First, never underestimate the value of exfoliating your lips, especially right before application. Hydrate your lips around the clock with a good lip balm as well. These tips will make wearing any lipstick that much smoother.
While these tips are helpful, your best bet is to buy a lipstick that’s already on your side rather than fighting against you. Check out these nine lipsticks that won’t dry out your lips like the sun on a hot day.
- Cremesheen Lipstick from MAC Cosmetics: This classic lipstick is a classic because it has a formula that just won’t quit. The castor oil in this lipstick helps keep your lips looking supple while still delivering quality color.
- Color Gel Lip Balm from Shiseido: Not only does this product provide plenty of color, but it’s also free of sulfates, parabens, and phthalates.
- Primrose Hill Picnic Moisture Matte Lipstick from Butter London: This formula includes three different seed butter to keep your lips looking moisturized while still offering gorgeous color.
- Katy Kat Matte Lipstick from CoverGirl: Who said color and moisture had to come at a premium? This CoverGirl lipstick shows that you can find a great product that won’t dry out your lips or your wallet.
- Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color from Maybelline: Another low-cost wonder. We love the beautiful matte shades and the promise of creamy lipstick that won’t dry out lips.
- Satin Lipstick from MAC Cosmetics: Another great product from MAC Cosmetics that will keep your lip color on point while keeping your lips looking healthy and moisturized.
- Rouge Dior Liquid from Dior: Known for many things in the beauty and fashion industry but perhaps not always their liquid lipsticks, this formula from Dior is too good to ignore. This item has lots of positive reviews from buyers who say it doesn’t dry out lips. We’re sold!
- Drench Lip Splash Lipstick from Tarte: With a name like “drench lip splash,” you can assume this lipstick is working hard to keep your lips from drying out, and you would guess correctly. This formula uses oils and butter to deliver some serious hydration.
- Ultra Hydrating Lip Color by Rouge Coco from Chanel: Another lipstick where the name says it all—this product takes hydration seriously by using jojoba and sunflower for powerful moisturizing.