Dandelion is likely one of the most underrated plants of our time. Commonly treated as a weed, most people spend their time trying to get rid of it. If they knew how powerful the plant is, they’d embrace this excellent food and medicinal source, instead of being annoyed by it.
Powerful Source of Nutrients
Dandelion is a rich source of beta-carotene, vitamin C, fiber, potassium, iron, magnesium, zinc and phosphorous. It also contains more protein than spinach.
Benefits Of Dandelion
Dandelion carries numerous health benefits including:
- Immune System: Dandelion has been shown to help boost the power of the immune system.
- Bone health: It is rich in calcium and other rich nutrients that promote good bone health.
- Diabetes: It has been speculated that dandelion juice helps diabetes patients by stimulating the production of insulin in the pancreas.
- Skin Care: Dandelion sap or the milk is great for treating fungal infections. Due to its alkaline nature, it is good for issues such as eczema and other skin conditions.
- High Blood Pressure: The fiber found in dandelion juice helps to decrease cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure.
- Cancer: Due to the powerful levels of vitamin C and Luteolin found in dandelion, it is good for helping to reduce free radicals in the body that can cause cancer through cell destruction.
All of the dandelion is good to eat. The flower, leaves and roots are edible. When harvesting wild dandelions, be sure not to eat the ones that have been sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals. Go for the leaves that are young and tender so they won’t be as bitter. You can add them to your salads, or you can cook them.
READ MORE HERE: 10 Surprising Health Benefits of Dandelions You Never Knew!