We’ve seen makeup trends come and go over the years, but these days, bold makeup is making a comeback. Graphic eyeliner and statement lips are popping up on celebs like Doja Cat, Gigi Hadid, and Yara Shahidi. Keep reading to learn what these trends are all about and our best tips for achieving them.
(image via @yarashahidi)
Graphic eyeliner is an edgy look that involves drawing shapes and designs on your eyelids with liquid liner. Our favorite part about this trend is that there’s no limit to the number of looks you can create. And you don’t have to be a pro to pull it off! Simply follow these steps:
- Apply eyeshadow primer to your eyelids after you prep your skin for makeup.
- Line your eyelid as normal but with a wing on the outer corner.
- Connect the tip of your wing to the inner corner of your eye in an arc motion over the top of your eyelid.
- Experiment with shapes, colors, and additional lines to achieve your desired look.
If you have hooded eyes or want to try out a different shape, instead of lining your lash line in Step 2, go straight to creating a wing starting from the outer corner of your eye. Then repeat this process on the inner corner of your eye, creating a mini wing in the opposite direction.
Remember: Practice makes perfect! The more you practice graphic liner, the steadier your hand will get. Don’t be afraid to play with color and let your imagination run wild!
Get the Look:
R.E.M. Beauty At The Borderline Eyeliner Marker($19, shop here)
This waterproof liquid liner has a tapered felt tip, which is helpful for all kinds of graphic makeup looks inspired by founder Ariana Grande.
Colourpop Get Graphic Liquid Liner Pen Vault ($38, shop here)
If you want to try graphic liner, this kit is a great place to start. With five colors, from classic black and white to bold yellow, you can create ultra-pigmented looks using a precise fine tip.
(image via @gigihadid)
Making a statement with a vibrant lipstick color is ideal for adding drama to your makeup routine. The best part is you don’t have to do much to complete the look. You can wear it with a full face of glam or keep it natural and let the lipstick speak for itself. To achieve the look, follow these steps:
- Before applying any products, use a lip scrub to exfoliate your lips and moisturize them with a lip balm.
- Line your lips with your lip liner of choice.
- Start in the center and work outwards to apply lipstick to your lips. Pro tip: Instead of applying directly, use a lip brush for extra precision and pigment.
- If you have excess product, gently blot with a tissue. And if your application is a little messy, use concealer to hide any blemishes.
Get the Look:
Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint ($28, shop here)
The Stunna Lip Paint will help you replicate some of Rihanna’s iconic looks.
Lime Crime Soft Touch Lipstick ($15, shop here)
Lime Crime has a wide range of unconventional colors, including bright blue, orange, green, and deep purple, for bold lip looks sure to stand out.