If you’re like us, you love wearing, experimenting with, and perfecting your makeup. But how do we know whether we are applying our foundation correctly? Should we use a brush, a sponge, or our fingers? The good news? All are effective – it just depends on what type of foundation you use and how much coverage you want! This article explains how to use each in foundation application.
Brushes and liquid foundations go hand in hand to create an efficient, flawless makeup base. The best part? Brushes require minimal cleanup and don’t have to be washed after every use. How do you use a makeup brush to apply foundation? Follow these tips:
- Apply a small amount of liquid foundation to the back of your hand, then dab the brush into the liquid.
- Slowly glide the foundation brush onto your face in circular motions. Be sure to start in the center of your face and work outward.
- Continue blending and buffing in a circular motion, focusing on areas that need more coverage until little to no product is left on the brush.
- Once the foundation is thoroughly blended, use a setting powder or spray to achieve a long-lasting look.
If you’re aiming for a “no makeup” natural look, leave the brushes in your makeup bag and use what you were born with: your fingers. When you use your fingers to apply foundation, you’ll find the product is super absorbent, which leads to a more controlled application. However, you do have to spend extra time blending because your fingers won’t distribute the product as swiftly as a brush.
To apply foundation using your fingers, use these tips:
- Wash your hands with soap and water to avoid transferring bacteria from your hands to your face.
- Apply a squirt or two of liquid foundation directly to your hands. This step warms the product up for easy absorption.
- Take your ring finger and spread the product gently across your face (the ring finger applies the least amount of pressure). Begin in your T-zone and blend outward.
- Pro tip: Do not apply foundation like you do moisturizer. Always tap the product into your skin and avoid rubbing it in.
If you use a lightweight liquid or stick foundation, a beauty sponge will be your best friend.
Follow these tips for applying foundation with a sponge:
- Always wet your beauty sponge before use.
- Squeeze out as much moisture as possible so the sponge is damp, not wet.
- Build coverage by applying a little product to the sponge at a time.
- Blend the foundation by dabbing it into your skin. Go back with a second or third layer if you prefer maximum coverage.
Note: If you use a stick foundation, you’ll get better results by applying it directly to your skin and then blending it using a sponge.