Maintaining healthy, radiant skin requires a consistent skincare routine. But did you know that the order in which you apply your skincare products can significantly affect how they work? This post will cover our top tips on layering skincare products to help your skin look and feel its best!
Identifying Skincare Layers
Skincare layering involves applying your products in a particular order to maximize absorption and effectiveness. The objective is to ensure that each product can penetrate the skin and provide benefits without interference from other products.
- Cleanse: To begin your routine, cleanse your face to remove dirt, oil, or pollutants. To prevent removing natural oils, use a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil Gentle Skin Face Cleanser ($13.99, shop here) made for your skin type.
- Tone: After cleansing, use a toner to balance your skin’s pH levels and prepare it for future products to absorb more readily. Look for toners with moisturizing and calming components, such as Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA+BHA Pore-Tight Toner ($34, shop here)
- Treat: In this stage, specific medications such serums, essences, and ampoules are applied. Select skincare products that deal with your issues, such as acne, hyper pigmentation, or aging. Apply them starting with the thinnest consistency. For example, if you want to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, try the Biossance Squalane + Retinol Night Serum ($72, shop here)
- Moisturize: Next, use a moisturizer to hydrate and retain moisture through a protective barrier. We like Clinique Moisture Surge 100H Auto-Replenishing Hydrator ($29, shop here)
- Protect: Sunscreen is the last step in your skincare routine. To protect your skin from damaging UV rays, slather on a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher – try Paula’s Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50 ($22, shop here). This is important even on overcast days and throughout the winter.
Guidelines for Effective Skincare Layering
- Patch Test: Perform a patch test before using a new skincare product. Apply a small amount of the product to the inside of your forearm, wait 24 hours, and look for any adverse reactions.
- Less Is More: While it can be tempting to apply many products, especially when they promise excellent results, stacking too many products can overload your skin. Instead, stick to the essentials and gradually introduce new items.
- Wait Between Layers: Let each product penetrate your skin before adding the next. As a general guideline, allow 30-60 seconds between each layer.
- Be Gentle: To avoid pulling or tugging on the skin, employ gentle, upward strokes when applying your skincare products. This keeps the skin’s natural suppleness and prevents inflammation.
- Consistency Is Key: Skincare layering works best when done consistently. Maintain your routine and give the products time to work their magic. Be patient because it can take a few weeks to notice any changes.
- Always avoid your eyelids!