Are you tired of spending a fortune on manicures but still want salon-worthy nails? We couldn’t relate more! That’s why we put together this step-by-step guide to achieving a professional-looking manicure from your couch.
Secure Your Tools and Supplies
Before beginning an at-home manicure, gather these basic supplies:
- Cotton Pads and Nail Polish Remover: Create a blank slate by wiping away any existing nail polish.
- Nail Clippers and File: Trim and shape nails according to desired length and shape.
- Cuticle Pusher and Oil: Gently push back cuticles while applying cuticle oil as a moisturizer.
- Nail Buffer: Use a nail buffer to even out any imperfections on the surface of your nails.
- Base Coat, Nail Polish, and Top Coat: Choose quality products for long-lasting manicures in colors that express your style. We love Static Nails, because the brush and polish are so easy to use!
Prepare Your Nails
Now that your tools are assembled, it’s time to prepare your nails for their manicure.
- Remove Existing Nail Polish: Soak a cotton pad in nail polish remover and use it to carefully wipe off any outdated polish from your nails.
- Shape Your Nails: Begin by trimming and shaping your nails using a nail clipper, followed by filing to get your desired shape. Whether almond or stiletto, just make sure they’re all even!
- Push Back Your Cuticles: Apply cuticle oil to each nail and gently push back your cuticles with a cuticle pusher. This step will create a clean and polished appearance! Don’t cut your cuticles unless there’s pieces hanging off – cutting your cuticles creates more splits in your skin!
- Use a Nail Buffer: Gently smooth away any ridges or bumps on the surface of your nails. This will help provide an even base for nail polish application.
Apply Your Polish
Now that your nails have been prepared, it’s time to add some color!
- Apply a Base Coat: A base coat will help your nail polish adhere securely and protect it from staining. Apply a thin layer to each nail and allow it to dry completely before painting.
- Add Color: Start by selecting a shade that reflects your mood. Then apply thin, even coats to each nail, starting at its center and moving outward. Allow the first coat to dry completely before applying additional ones if needed.
- Never Forget a Top Coat: Once your nail polish has set, use a top coat to protect and extend its life by sealing in color, adding shine, and making it more durable.
Here are a few extra touches you can add to make your at-home manicure appear truly professional:
- Clean Up Any Mistakes: If nail polish has accidentally come in contact with any skin areas, use a small brush dipped in nail polish remover to gently clean around your nails.
- Moisturize Your Hands and Cuticles: Once your manicure is complete, apply a rich hand cream and cuticle oil to maintain soft, supple skin.
- Admire and Maintain: Celebrate the beauty of your nails by showing them off with pride! To protect their long-term viability, avoid activities that could damage them.
Our Picks for At-Home Manicures
A set of six neutral nail polish shades to get you started on your DIY manicure journey.
Choose between one and six custom nail polish colors in this complete and versatile set of nail tools.
Everyone needs a good base and top coat to complete an at-home manicure!