Got some extra oats lying around? We all seem to have that familiar Quaker face poking out of the back of the pantry from when we thought we would make ourselves a nice bowl of hot oatmeal in the morning. If this is you, we have good news—those oats won’t be going to waste, as you can use them in your beauty routine.
Use raw oats unless stated otherwise:
Oatmeal helps protect the skin barrier to keep moisture in, and are also full of saponins which gently remove dirt and oil for a deep-down clean.
- Spot Treatment – Suffer from acne? Oatmeal can help slough off dead skin cells and soak up excess oil, but also soothes irritated skin. Quickly warm up a little in the microwave, cool it to room temp, and apply to trouble areas. Rinse after 10 minutes. Doing this on your skin can give you relief from sunburn and poison ivy as well.
- Face Wash – Oatmeal contains saponins that help remove dirt and oil. You can create a quick cleanser with 2 tbsp oatmeal, 1 tbsp warm water and 1 tsp of honey. Using circular motions, rub on the face, then rinse. Added bonus: honey kills bacteria and locks in moisture.
- Sensitive Skin Scrub – Mix 1 tbsp of oats, 1 tsp honey, and 2 tbsp yogurt for a gentle exfoliating cream that moisturizes, protects the skin and soothes. Especially effective on peeling, recently sunburnt skin.
- Tropical Scrub – Take 2 tbsp oatmeal, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp brown sugar and a little bit of warm water, mix together, and apply to the face for a quick exfoliating treatment that gives the skin major luminosity.
- Baking Soda Oatmeal Scrub – Mix equal parts oatmeal and baking soda, then add a teaspoon of water or olive oil. Mix thoroughly into a paste, then massage into the skin. Rinse thoroughly.
- Oatmeal Mini Mask – Take 2 tbsp oatmeal, 2 tsp honey, 1 tbsp milk. Combine all ingredients. Apply to face and neck, leave on for 10 minutes, rinse.
- Nourishing Scrub – Mix ½ cup whole milk, 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp olive oil, and 2 tbsp of oatmeal. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then exfoliate your face for about 2 minutes with the paste. Rinse thoroughly.
- Anti-Aging Mask – Mix together ½ cup cooked oatmeal, 1 egg, and 1 tbsp almond oil. Spread it on your face and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.